CMSRS had adopted the methodology of identifying the fire risks at workplace as outlined by Fire Precautions at Workplace Act, UK. After identification of the risks, their evaluation and assessment have been carried out based on two criteria i.e. frequency of occurrence of unwanted event or situations and the harm or extent of damage that unwanted events would cause that were to occur. The magnitudes of these two elements of the risk are indicated by giving each of them a numerical value (X) and (Y) for harm or damage.
It may be noted that physical conditions that existed during site visit were the basis for assessment and due weightage was given to the existence of hardware systems like fire resistant construction, good electrical systems, fire protection equipment etc and the practices followed in the premises with regard to safety.
Fire Risk Assessments are conducted with the following objectives:
- To carry out a systematic and critical evaluation of Fire Safety of the occupancy.
- To suggest recommendations to improve the fire safety standards.
Scope of Fire Risk Assessment:
- Identifying potential fire / explosion hazards / risks in the process and storage areas of the premises and suggesting appropriate preventive measures
- Reviewing the existing fire protection systems and suggest modifications wherever necessary as per applicable national and international standards
- Identify deviations with respect to fire safety procedures and suggest action plan to correct deviations
- Advising further scope on compliance with statutory requirements related to fire safety & explosions
- Providing guidelines for preparation of fire emergency and formation of team for fire fighting, first aid, rescue teams and allocating specific responsibilities. Reviewing the existing On-site emergency plans with respect to Fire risk wherever such plans are available.
- Evaluating the existing maintenance checklist of all fire protection system. Even new maintenance of checklist provided based on the occupancy.
- Providing graphical interpretation of the ranking using risk radar.